Visit to Solusi University in Zimbabwe

On a recent visit to Solusi University in Zimbabwe, Dr. Gerhard Pfandl spoke to church members and students on the origin and history of the Seventh-day Adventist Church. Solusi Mission, the site of Solusi University, was the first Adventist mission station in Africa. It was established in 1894 on 12,000 acres (4,900 hectares) of land granted by Cecil Rhodes, the prime minister of Cape Colony, to Pieter Wessels and Asa T. Robinson, representing the Seventh-day Adventist Church in Africa, which had raised £500 for the purpose of opening a mission among the Matabele people. Today, because of the economic downturn in recent times in Zimbabwe, Solusi at the present time has only about 2000 students.